In order to support the development of Confucius Institutes, facilitate Chinese language promotion and Chinese cultural transmission in the world, cultivate qualified Chinese language teachers and talented students of Chinese language, Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches the “Confucius Institute Scholarship” program to provide financial aid for students, scholars and Chinese language teachers worldwide to proceed to a Master’s degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) in Chinese universities (hereinafter referred to as "host institutes"), or study in such majors as Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy.
I. Scholarship Category and Application Requirement
The category of scholarship of 2012 includes Scholarship for Students of Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages, Scholarship for One-Academic- Year Students and Scholarship for One-Semester Students. Applicants shall be non-Chinese citizens aged between 16 and 35 (Chinese language teachers shall be aged below 45).
1. 汉语国际教育专业硕士 向孔子学院（课堂）优秀学员，HSK考试成绩优秀者，“汉语桥”世界大、中学生中文比赛优胜者，各国汉语教师，各国大学中文专业优秀毕业生提供，入学时间为2012年秋季，资助期限为2学年。完成学业后，可获得汉语国际教育硕士专业学位和硕士研究生毕业证书。申请者应具有学士学位或相当学历，新HSK成绩不低于五级180分，同时须书面承诺毕业后至少从事5年汉语教学工作。
1. Scholarship for Students of Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages The scholarship is provided to outstanding students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), outstanding performers on HSK exams, winners of the "Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, Chinese language teachers worldwide, and outstanding graduates of Chinese language across the world for taking the MTCSOL degree. The scholarship winner shall begin the study in autumn 2012, and the grant will cover two academic years. After finishing the study, students will obtain the graduate diploma and be conferred with the Master’s degree certificate in MTCSOL. Applicants are required to have bachelor degrees or its equivalent with a score of at least 180 on the new HSK (level 5), and make a written commitment stating that he/she will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation.
2. 一学年研修生 向孔子学院（课堂）优秀学员，HSK考试成绩优秀者，“汉语桥”世界大、中学生中文比赛优胜者，各国汉语教师，各国大学中文专业优秀学生，或有志于从事国际汉语教育的人士提供，学习专业包括汉语言文学、中国历史和中国哲学，入学时间为2012年秋季，资助期限为一学年。申请者在孔子学院学习时间应达到120学时以上，或新HSK成绩不低于三级180分。
2. Scholarship for One-Academic Year Students The scholarship is provided to outstanding students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), outstanding performers on HSK, winners of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, Chinese language teachers worldwide, and outstanding graduates of Chinese language across the world, or those who intend to become Chinese teachers. The scholarship winner may choose to study majors including Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy. The time of entrance is autumn 2012 and the grant term is one academic year. Applicants should complete their study at a Confucius Institute for over 120 hours, or achieve a score of at least 180 on the new HSK (level 3).
3. 一学期研修生 向孔子学院（课堂）优秀学员，HSK考试成绩优秀者，“汉语桥”世界大、中学生中文比赛优胜者，各国汉语教师，各国大学中文专业优秀学生提供，学习专业包括汉语言文学、中国历史和中国哲学，入学时间为2012年秋季或2013年春季，资助期限为一学期。申请者须在孔子学院学习时间应达到60学时以上，或新HSK成绩不低于二级120分。
3. Scholarship for One-Semester Students The scholarship is provided to outstanding students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), outstanding performers on HSK, winners of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, Chinese language teachers worldwide, and outstanding students of Chinese language across the world. The scholarship winner may choose to study majors including Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy. The time of entrance is autumn 2012 or Spring 2013 and the grant term is one semester. Applicants should complete their study at a Confucius Institute for over 60 hours, or achieve a score of at least 120 on the new HSK (level 2).
II. Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
Scholarship winners are exempt from registration fees, tuition, fees for basic learning materials, accommodation fees on campus, and are provided with a one-off resettlement subsidy, monthly allowance, outpatient medical service and comprehensive insurance for foreign students studying in China. The one-off resettlement subsidy will not be provided to those who have studied in China for more than half a year before being enrolled.
III. Recruitment Procedures
1. From the issue date of the Procedures, applicants should log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarship website at http://cis.chinese.cn, set up an individual account, read information and introduction of host institutes and majors, complete and submit the Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form (see Attachment 1) online, print out the Form and submit it to their recommending institution along with other application materials (see Article 4).
2. Confucius Institutes (independently set-up Confucius Classrooms), overseas Chinese test centers, educational and cultural offices (sections) of Chinese embassies (consulates), host institutes and institutions of higher education in those countries with no Confucius Institutes are entrusted by Hanban as the recommending institutions. The recommending institutions shall exam the qualification and application materials of applicants, and recommend outstanding applicants. Recommending institutions shall send the application materials of qualified applicants (e-scanning copy or original copy) to those host institutes of the candidate’s first and second choices and submit the candidate name list (see Attachment 2) to Hanban for by May 10th 2012.
3. Host institutes are responsible for reviewing the qualification of applicants and submitting the proposed enrollment name list of qualified candidates (see Attachment 3) to Hanban by June 5th 2012.
4. Hanban will organize an expert panel to make the final selection and publish the name list of successful applicants on the Scholarship website by June 30th 2012, which will be informed to applicants through recommending institutions.
5. The host institutes will post “Admission Notice”, “Enrollment Instructions”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China" (JW202 Form) and other related materials to successful applicants through their recommending institutions by July 10th 2012.
IV. Application Documents
Applicants shall submit the following documents:
1. Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form
2. Photocopy of Passport Photo Page
3. Application Statement: stating applicant's Chinese language learning background, study plan and aim in China It shall be written in Chinese and no less than 800 words.
4. Photocopy of New HSK Result Report
5. Diploma and Transcripts. Applicants shall submit notarized highest education diplomas attained or proof of study.
6. Reference Letter and Letter of Commitment. Students attending Chinese language programs of universities in countries with no Confucius Institutes established shall attach a reference letter signed and issued by the university President. The Master’s Degree Scholarship applicants are required to submit reference letters provided by two professors or associate professors (in Chinese or English). A written commitment stating that the applicant will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation (written in Chinese and sign with signature).
7. Applications under the age of 18 shall submit relevant legal documents of entrusted legal guardians in China.
8. Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students in China shall submit the duplicate of scholarship certificate and reference letter provided by educational and cultural offices (sections) of Chinese embassies (consulates). Winners of preliminary rounds of the “Chinese Bridge” Proficiency Competitions in their countries shall provide award proof and reference letter provided by the organizers.
9. Chinese language teachers shall submit the proof on number of teaching years and weekly teaching hours provided by institutes they work for.
V. Entrance and Annual Appraisal
1. The scholarship winners shall register at the host institutes before the deadline set by the institutes. Scholarships will not be kept for those who do not register on time without reasonable cause.
2. Scholarships will be canceled for those who cannot pass the health examination.
3. Students for a Master’s degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) shall be subject to an annual appraisal organized by the host institutes in the second semester after being enrolled according to the “Annual Appraisal Procedures for Confucius Institute Scholarship”. Only the eligible students are entitled to continue to receive the Scholarships in the following year.
VI. Contact Information
Division of Testing and Scholarship, Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters
Address: 129, Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, 100088.
For contact information of host institutes of Confucius Institute Scholarship Recipients, please visit the website at http://cis.chinese.cn.